Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 1995 20:47:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Nelson <nelson@seahunt.imat.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Netscape and XNLSPATH

Netscape for BSD v1.0N bitches about the XNLSPATH not being set
correctly, and it coredumps when you try to past text into a text field.

This is documented behavior under SunOS, and the Netscape README file
says to set the XNLSPATH variable to /usr/lib/X11/nls.  I tried creating
that directory and set the environment variable to that, and it still has
the same problem.

I also tried soft linking to /usr/share/locale, and now netscape
complains that the locale "C" is not supported:

netscape: locale C' not supported.
        Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set correctly?

[nelson@seahunt]:~ $ echo $XNLSPATH
/usr/lib/X11/nls

I realize this isn't a strictly FreeBSD question, but I'm hoping that
someone here has solved this problem and can tell me what the fix is...

Here's what the netscape README file says about it:

            The SunOS 4.1 distribution also includes a directory called
	    "nls". This directory is a standard part of the MIT X11R5
	    distribution, but is not included with OpenWindows 3.0 or
	    earlier.  We have linked Netscape against the MIT R5
	    libraries because they are less buggy in general; however,
	    they have one rather serious bug, which is that if this "nls"
	    directory does not exist, the program will dump core any time
	    you try to paste into a text field!

	    So, if you don't have the "nls" directory on your system, you
	    will need to install it first.  The usual place is
	    /usr/lib/X11/nls, but you can put it anywhere: just point the
	    $XNLSPATH environment variable at it.

	    Some sites don't have their X libraries installed in
	    /usr/lib/X11/. This doesn't matter.  You either need to put
	    the nls directory in /usr/lib/X11/, or every user will need
	    to set this environment variable.

--
Michael Nelson                          nelson@seahunt.imat.com
San Francisco, CA