Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:03:37 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: how to create a DVD backup filesystem?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:37:51 -0800, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> 	So if I use my space in /usr/tmp, would I use the cmd given by
> 	cpghost:
>
> 	% mkisoft -R -J -o cdr.iso /usr/tmp/cdr/  ?
                   ^  ^

>  If this wouldn't
> 	% create the RockRidge extension, what then?

According to

	% man mkisofs

the command above would (1) create the nonstandard "Joilet"
extension that is required by MICROS~1 products in order to
use >8.3 file names. Instead of -R, I would suggest -r for the
standard RockRidge extension because it stores UNIX attributes
in a good way for further usage (all files +r, no files +w).
This makes further handling more easy eventually.

You would end up with a pre-mastered ISO-9660+RR file system
that you could load into K3B and then record it onto CD or DVD.

> 	Exact "where do I click" instructions, please.

We're not in MICROS~1 land here. :-) I had never use for K3B, so
only time I saw it was when I toyed around with PC-BSD. But I
remember it has a setting for "data disc" or "burn from a file"
wich is easy if you already have the premastered ISO image there.

> Alao, if I'm
> 	brave enough to use GUI, can I use ~/devel, ~/Music, and, say
> 	~/texts?

Why not? The only restrictions I would apply would be to make
the file names a bit "tidy". Of course, there's no problem using
accents and Umlauts and all this stuff, and spaces, ampersands
and who knows what else, but for maximum reading sureness, it's
a good idea to only use a standard character set for the file
names.

If you only want to create an ISO from some subtrees, you can
do this with mkisofs:

	% mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cd.iso ~/devel ~/Music ~/texts

But this will discard the first level of directories, if I
remember correctly. Another idea would be to temporally symlink
the stuff that you want to include, then run mkisofs on the
directory containing the symlinks - they get "translated" into
the file structures they point at automatically, if I remember
correctly. Or, if you've got enough time, just copy them,
creating a "master composition tree" that will look the way
if should be on the DVD then.

>  ---I have learned to mouse-around and select my
> 	favorite mp3 and ogg-vorbis tunes, but that's just 80 minutes of
> 	music.  No mount, no umount.

For mounting, have the correct setting in /etc/fstab, such
as

# /etc/fstab
# ==========
# Device        Mountpoint              FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
# -----------   ---------------------   ------  -------------   -----   -----
/dev/acd0       /media/cdrom            cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd0       /media/dvd              cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd1       /media/writer           cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

> 	OK, then what about the mount, umount commands?
>
> 	% mount /dev/cd0 /mnt
>
> 	// cd to /dev/dv0, read, listen, whatever.  Then::
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, cd to the mount point, /mnt or /media/dvd or whatever you've
chosen.

You can use /dev/cd0 only if atapicam is present (loaded as a
kernel module or from within the kernel).

If your /etc/fstab does not specify a mount rule, don't forget
to add -o ro because it's a read-only media, the system should
know this.

> 	% umount /dev/cd0

Possible, but mostly it's more convenient to umount the mountpoint
instead of the device, but should work in any of the both ways.

> 	??   Would this work with our FBSD filesystem and-or RockRidge?

Depends on it, see /etc/fstab above; this mount command implies
ISO-9660 as the file system. Instead of cutting your filenames down
to 8.3 MICROS~1 style, the RockRidge extension will provide the
correct file names.

If you put an UFS file system onto the DVD, you would need a different
command, such as

	% mount -t ufs -o ro /dev/acd0 /mnt

--
Polytropon