Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:48:46 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless workstation

> }> }I think this is correct, actually. Danny, can you confirm that you're
> }> }using one of the class A address spaces (eg. 10.*.*.*?)
> }> }
> }> my net is class B. 132.65.0.0
> }
> }Gotcha.  What's your netmask?  I bet it disagrees one way or the other
> }with the "canonical" netmask this code assumes.
> it's the host part 132.65.80.247, the 247 is 0xF7 and hence class C :-)
> my netmask is 255.255.0.0 for the time being till we go vlan.

Hmm, I would expect this to be rejected by the offending code, so your
original fix is actually wrong, rather it's a bug in the code insisiting
that you ought to be using a class C netmask.

> }> }Actually, IMO the code around this is entirely wrong; we should always
> }> }respect the mask supplied by the server, and only use the canonical mask
> }> }if we don't get one at all.
> }> }
> }> my man!
> }>
> }> im cleaning up bootp and will let you know.
> }
> }You could make yourself *really* popular and teach it about DHCP, you
> }know. 8)
> }
> what have you in mind? it already knows some DHCP, the leasing stuff is
> yet a gray area with me (i dislike it totaly, but then i own a class B ;-)
> i've added hostname though. suggestions?

Mostly I guess I'd really like it to simply save *all* of the DHCP
response in the environment.  Just "dhcp.xxx" where xxx is the parameter
value would probably do it, or we can argue about names for everything if
there aren't established names already.

There should be no real problems with the lease, as most leases are more
than long enough to boot the system anyway, so I wouldn't bother with
that.

> on a different subject, but related:
> on my nfsroot client, im now stuck - again -, ls -ls /dev/null shows
> strange minor/major: 0, 0x00020002   instead od 2,2
> which of course ruins rc.diskless.

Do you have NFSv3 mounts for any of your filesystems listed in /etc/
fstab?  The loader only does v2 NFS, and that's the way / is mounted.