Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 01:36:45 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Policy on image source files in the CVS tree

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 05:28:49PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > I think it makes sense to allow actual (or even require) that the actual
> > source file be in the tree, but I wonder the proposed policy isn't too
> > strict.  Specificaly, it seems that the screenshot tools aren't very big
> > and don't require X so it might be better to for people to have them and
> > adding them to the infrastructure.  Where to draw the line is clearly
> > hard, but it feels like screen shots should be first class images in
> > OS documentation.
>=20
> I think that allowing automatic builds of *PNG or *.TXT files from=20
> *.SCR files (or whatever the extension is) makes sense, particularly if
> the tools for working with *.SCR files are coming into the base system.

Some of the tools are.  The syscons changes are the scrshot tool are,
but I would expect to keep shot2{png,gif,txt} in the ports tree, at
least for the time being.  If for no other reason than that
shot2{gif,png} will depend on libgd or libpng, or similar.

shot2{png,gif,txt} will just become additional dependencies in the
docproj/ meta-port.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--