Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 16:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sridhar Krishnan <skrishna@cisco.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Help

I have not resolved the problem using the internal modem on COM1. Here is the
scenario:

I have MWave card on IBM Aptiva system that combines the functions of a
Sound Card, some DSP, COM1 Fax/Modem. The COM1 has an i/o address of
02F8h (0x2f8) and uses IRQ 4. I have PS/2 mouse which is working fine.

Has anybody heard of the Mwave Card ? I scanned through the FAQ for
hardware support and I could not find any.

The system also comes with two (extrenal) serial ports A & B which are
configured as COM2 (0x3e8, IRQ 3) and COM3 (0x3e8, IRQ 4).

I have tried kernel configuration:
- sio0 with 0x2f8 and intr. 4 , with/without  conflicts clause
and commented out sio1, sio2 and sio3. I saw the WIN95 config, it shows
COM1 at the above address.

During boot, the kernel says that sio0 is not configured because 0x2f8
does not respond. The only way sio0 would work is if I configured my
kernel for 0x38h which is actually COM3. That is why my modem is not
responding (sincve it is configured as COM3).

How do I get the kernel to recognize sio0 ? Does the serial driver only
recognize serial port cards and not this multi-function card. If so, any
ideas how I can use the built-in modem.

I got my fvwm working! I found out that "twm" is configured in the
xinitrc (under /usr/X11R6/lib/x11). Do you think this should be part of
the handbook ?

Thanks for you help. I am enjoying the FreeBSD!