Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2017 08:41:12 +0100
From:      Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Sergei Akhmatdinov <sakhmatd@riseup.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

At 2017-01-19 06:15, Warren Block was heard to say:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Sergei Akhmatdinov wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 23:30:55 -0700 (MST)
>> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>>> I do not know but suspect the font section is obsolete.  However, I
>>> have
>>> not investigated that.
>>
>> Only half obsolete. Loading "freetype" is no longer needed, but most
>> font
>> packages do not properly copy into Xorg's default font-paths, so you
>> still need
>> to point to them. That, or manually copy the files over, which is what
>> I do. I
>> find that a bit less fussy than adding a .conf and having to add a
>> font-path every time I install a new font from ports.

>>> Only dbus is required for xfce.  Although the packages might require
>>> hal, don't know.
>>
>> I have XFCE set up on my FBSD desktop, couldn't get it to show up
>> restart-shutdown-etc without HAL running.
>
> I've been using xfce without hal ever since submitting the patches to
> change the ports to not need it. :)
>
> But I build everything from ports, and that packages might require hal.
>
>> Not sure why XFCE needs so much work over what is essentially a
>> `shutdown
>> (-r|-p) now` wrapper.
>
> I just add those entries to the polkit file and it works.  If there is
> something else that needs to be done, I did it a long time ago, but
> I'm pretty sure I have set up machines from scratch with the same
> configuration.

I just reinstalled a laptop with 11-RELEASE and ran into the very same
problem that you seem to *not* have. I have enabled just about
everything (polkitd|hald|dbus|whatnot) in rc.conf, I've granted my user
account the rights to do everything in the polkit config file, and still
cannot shut down or restart the box using XFCE's logout dialog. sudo
/sbin/poweroff runs flawlessly though, so it is not really an issue. It
is just a wart on an otherwise smooth setup. I have not tried to build
XFCE from the ports tree though. Will try as soon as I get round to it.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka