Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:15:42 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Gregory Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>,  Jos Chrispijn <bsdports@cloudzeeland.nl>
Subject:   Re: Ports vs packages

Am 26.08.18 um 21:55 schrieb Gregory Byshenk:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 01:01:24PM +0200, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>> On 26-8-2018 2:07, Pete Wright wrote:
>>> one thing i do for my systems is if there is an update to a port i
>>> need/want to test before the official build cluster is done is run a
>>> "make package" in the port directory.? then i can install the updated
>>> code as a pkg for future upgrade convenience.? this works great for
>>> ports without many external dependencies at build-time, not so much
>>> when things like llvm need to be build ;)
>>
>> I did that once myself but ended in total chaos because I found out that
>> using ports and packages next to each other is not a good marriage.
>> Port options that may have been enabled may be overuled by packages
>> (which are always built using the default options). Not for a specific
>> port but with regards to the depencies is will us (and which may already
>> been installed as packages).
>>
>> I am quite a nub on this, so perhaps the problems were otherwise. Since
>> I completely switched to packages, these issues are gone.
>
> If you are using packages by default, then this shouldn't
> really be a problem. Your packages should have default
> options, so if you build one port - using the default
> options! - then there should be no serious conflict. At
> least when there are few/no dependencies, as Pete notes.
>
> Where you can get into problems is if you are building
> using ports by default, along with non-standard options,
> and then try to add packages. That can get very ugly.

To be fully compatible with official packages, you have to build in
Poudriere with the same FreeBSD version as used of the official builds.

Building in your host environment might cause conflicts between shared
libraries, if the shared library version used for the packages (from the
oldest supported release of the FreeBSD version you use) might be too old
to match what you use in a newer release of that FreeBSD version.

Regards, STefan