Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:06:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeff Newton <jeff@datapark.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update 2.1.0 to 2.1.6

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Jeff Newton wrote:

> I'm a little nervous about an updating the kernel on my 2.1.0 system.
> I've read the various questions/answers in the archive but is backing up
> /etc the only thing I need to do before taking on this task?
>
> Its a production system running DNS and mail for my entire network so
> its crucial that I don't lose anything of value.  Can someone more
> experienced with this tell me what if anything I'll lose during the
> upgrade?
>
> Any advice?  I'd like to make this as painless as possible so any help
> would be GREATLY appreciated!

If you have never done this before, find some poor unsuspecting
workstation to inflict.  :)  The experience will do you good.

But, if that isn't possible, here is my handy-dandy upgrade instructions
I've been posting for several months.

Oh, and backup your kernel config file just in case.

FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist for 2.1.x:

1)  BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC.  IT __WILL__ BE MODIFIED!!!

2)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally and any you wish to add.

3)  Hit 'commit'.  Take note of the modified files.

4)  When you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	.  Copy services back from your backup /etc.  It's three lines
 	   long now :(

	.  Edit sysconfig and re-config from scratch using your old one as
	   a guide.

	.  Migrate any changes you made to rc.local and other files noted
           during the upgrade process.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.