Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:52:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MFC of bump in libcom_err.so another mistake?

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Sean McNeil wrote:

> I was wondering if this was on purpose.  Seems like there is no good reason
> that it was done on -STABLE and it has really messed up everything here for
> me.
>
> libcom_err.so.2 bumped to libcom_err.so.3.

It was on purpose, but not necessarily for a good reason.  Could you be more
specific about "really messed up everything here for me", which sounds a lot
to me like "and all hell broken loose"?  I assume there's some sort of library
and application versioning problem, but some details would be helpful.

In principle, other than potentially requiring compat libs to run old binaries
even though that may not strictly have been necessary, it seems likely that a
binary depending on the old libcom_err depends also on an old libc.  On the
other hand, I consider library version number interactions to be mysterious,
and likely have missed the point.  :-)

Robert N M Watson