Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:48:18 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update and csup - I'm going around in circles.

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:24:37 +0000 (UTC), Walter Hurry wrote:
> Every time I run "freebsd-update fetch" it says it wants to update the
> following 5 source files "as part of updating to 9.0-RELEASE-p4":
>
> /usr/src/sys/amd64/amd64/trap.c
> /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
> /usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_input.c
> /usr/src/sys/netinet6/in6.c
> /usr/src/sys/netinet6/ip6_input.c
>
> So I run "freebsd-update install" and they are updated happily.
>
> But when I run csup with my standard-supfile, it puts the same 5 files
> back to where they were.

Not "and". Why are you mixing tools here? You're shooting
your own foot. :-)

You use _either_ freebsd-update to update your system the binary
way, _or_ you use csup to update your sources and then compile
your system from that sources.

Solution: Don't use csup. :-)

Side note: Check your update configuration files so they reflect
the proper branch you want to follow. With freebsd-update you
follow the -RELEASE-pX branch, with csup you can

	a) follow -RELEASE-pX
	b) follow -STABLE
	c) follow -CURRENT

Note that you should not mix those! You can always switch branches
when using the source code based method (csup), but you should not
do so using freebsd-update.

An example configuration to follow -RELEASE-pX using the csup
method with "make update" would look like this:

	% cat /etc/sup/release.sup
	*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
	*default base=/var/db
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_9_0
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	*default compress
	src-all

Together with the selection in /etc/make.conf:

	SUP_UPDATE=     YES
	SUP=            /usr/bin/csup
	SUPFLAGS=       -L 2
	SUPHOST=        cvsup.freebsd.org
	SUPFILE=        /etc/sup/release.sup
	PORTSSUPFILE=   /etc/sup/ports.sup
	DOCSUPFILE=     /etc/sup/doc.sup
	DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1 de_DE.ISO8859-1

you can easily control the process.

(Sidenote: I also have /etc/sup/stable.sup which looks like the
example provided, but has tag=RELENG_9 in it. You could also use
tag=RELENG_9_0_0_RELEASE to revert back to 9.0-RELEASE.)

You can find an example for what the CVS tags mean here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany