Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 15:03:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xterm wierdness after 'make world'...

>    After doing a 'make world' last night, I now find that most
>(all?) programs that use libtermcap now act strangely...  When
>reading mail with elm, for example, all characters are printed
>in reverse video.  Using 'more' to read a short file (less than
>a screenful) is no longer possible, because the file is
>displayed, and the screen is instantly restored before there is
>any chance to see any of it.  Longer files work as expected,
>except for the last page, which is cleared before it can be
>read.

It looks like termcap has been changed to include the latest XFree86
xterm entry.  The current xterm has some features not present in older
versions, and this is reflected in the termcap entry.  One is that 'end
standout mode' (se) now only turns off standout mode rather than turning
off all attributes.  Old xterms don't recognise that esc sequence, so
reverse video mode doesn't get turned off.

The second problem is related to the ti and te termcap entries.
These are switching to an alternate screen buffer while 'more' is
running, then switching back afterwards.  I've been setting my
PAGER to 'more -e' which is OK for the last page of longer files, but
still doesn't fix things for short files.  The X Consortium's standard
R6 termcap entry for xterm also does this.

David