Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:18:29 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org, Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: flickering picture on FP-monitor attached to Radeon's analog head

On Thursday 14 of July 2005 06:46, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have to different setups where digital flat panels are attached to the
> analog (secondary) outputs of differnet Radeon-based cards.
>
> In both setups the selected resolution matches the monitor's native and
> the timings are selected based on DDC data obtained from the monitors.
> The monitors are from different makers (Dell, Planar).
>
> In both setups, the monitor attached via a VGA cable is showing
> distinctly worse picture, than its twin, that is attached to the DVI. It
> is particularly noticable during the initial X startup (the waves go up
> and down X's black-and-blue grid).
>
> I know, DVI is supposed to be better than VGA, but not this much
> better...
>
> Is there a trick, perhaps, some Option of the radeon driver? Thanks!

Actually apparently DVI is that much better. I get same flicker with Samsung
flat panel on nvidia both under X (same on FreeBSD and SUSE) and under
Windows (XP and Server 2003 FWIW). With DVI the picture is excellent. So I
would think this is not as much problem with X. If however anyone has some
magic setup options, I'd welcome them as well :)
And yes it gets more bearable depending on color/texture of background. The
grid on X startup is designed to be difficult on monitors...

Dejan