Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:40:16 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Junk mail from hackers list

In article <199703060021.KAA07654.kithrup.freebsd.chat@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au> you write:
>> You would think AOL would have enough problems without pissing off
>> a lot of highly technically knowledgable people...
>I think that AOL management and technical staff are sufficiently stupid
>that they couldn't care less about a market segment that already hates
>their guts.

I think you would be better off not making comments about people you don't
know.

I have been involved in trying to stop spam since Canter & Siegel.
http://www.vix.com/spam/ will show I was one of the first people to sign up
for it; in January and February, I cancelled over 2000 usenet articles.

AOL has more problems than you probably realize; and their technical people
are more clueful than you seem to think.

I do not understand the bigotry against AOL customers.  Yes, there are lots
of clueless AOL people -- but there are lots of clueless people at any other
ISP.  AOL simply happens to be the biggest.

Earthlink, as an end-user ISP, is the worst I've had to deal with, and AGIS,
as a backbone provider, is even worse than that.

Also, in response to Terry's original message:  no, AOL does not mine
addresses.  If you send email to someone at AOL, your address does not get
recorded by anyone but the recipient (and certain log files, of course --
but the same is true here).  To be honest, I haven't seen much spam on the
hacker's list.  And all of my junk email apparantly comes from posting to
usenet.  (rec.arts.sf.written resulting in the most junk.)  And, gosh, Terry
certainly posts a lot to usenet; maybe *that*'s where his address is being
found, hm?

Sean.