Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:58:38 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel SR1500/S5000PAL/Xeon 5050

Hi,

Further to my question a couple of weeks ago, I've now had a chance
to play with these beasts. Pretty impressive.

Some points to note: 6.1R doesn't grok the onboard SATA controller
(sysinstall hangs), RELENG_6 as of last week is OK although in RAID1
mode I had to do an 'atacontrol create' before sysinstall would
recognise it as a RAID1.

Even in a diskless box, you have to include the passive (SATA)
backplane because that also carries fan power and the interface for
the front control panel. Also that 600W PSU is not a joke, a diskless
unit pulls over 500W.

The optional Remote Management Module works pretty well, basically it
gives a web interface to the IPMI functionality in the BMC. Some
frobbing may  be required if your LAN is not /24 or you want to
access it over an SSH tunnel. I haven't had a chance yet to
investigate the IPMI/serial-over-LAN overlaid on to the main NICs.

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 (0)118 940 1243
rb@gid.co.uk		fax +44 (0)118 940 1295