Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:32:10 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

>I'm building up a couple of systems around the Asus P55T2P4
>mainboard and a P133 CPU.  I had planned on adding the Asus
>SC200 SCSI card, which is built around the NCR53C810; but the
>local computer shop recommended against that, saying that the
>SC200 must use IRQ0, and that I will therefore have trouble if I
>try to run non-Microsoft operating systems.  I'm afraid I don't
>know enough about the PCI bus architecture even to know if this
>is gibberish or not.  (Hey, at least they know there *are*
>non-Microsoft OS's!)  I've also seen references to the NCR SCSI
>BIOS, but I'm unclear on whether this is an extra-cost option
>or not.
>
>Can anyone help shed some light here?

   It's gibberish. irq0 is the clock/timer interrupt and has nothing at all
to do with the NCR controller. Using it for the NCR would be a configuration
error.
   The second part of your question...yes, your motherboard must have the "NCR
SCSI BIOS" in order for you to boot from the NCR.

-DG

David Greenman