Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 2009 06:22:13 -0400
From:      "Jason J. Hellenthal" <jasonh@DataIX.net>
To:        dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphics/jpeg especially UPDATING

If you pkg_delete -r that will remove every package that depends on jpeg. T=
his is not the right way of just getting rid of jpeg considering it involve=
s the complete almost full re-installation of the entire system manually.

A better route to upgrade would be: pkg_delete -f jpeg-\*
reinstall the new jpeg and then portmaster -r jpeg-\*

I suppose the damage is already done to most of the systems for people that=
 did not already catch this.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:07:13 +0200
dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer) wrote:

> Hallo Jason J. Hellenthal,
>=20
> >         pkg_delete -r jpeg-6b_7
> >   Please rebuild all ports that depends on it.
> > ""
> > You should remove this pkg_delete -r line in UPDATING. This is just tel=
ling the user to remove any packages that depended on jpeg recursively. The=
re will be nothing left to upgrade if users do this as a lot of packages re=
ly on jpeg.
>=20
> You need rebuild the dependent ports without old jpeg being installed.
> =20
> > Maybe a portupgrade -fr or portmaster -r would be more appropriate.
>=20
> maybe, I don't use this tools, so I can not tell.

I do. And I know how much of a pain it is to manually replace over 800 pack=
ages is by hand.

>=20
> Gru=DF Dirk
>=20
> - Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
> - [dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer@guug.de],[dinoex@FreeBSD.org]
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dinoex/errorlogs/

--=20
Jason J. Hellenthal