Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:53:05 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        jonathan.laventhol@imagination.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cheap 1000Gbyte machine

Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Jonathan Laventhol wrote:
> > Hello Folks --
> >
> > Anybody built a file server with approx 1000 Gbyte or more?
>
> Not yet :)
>
> > Or even 200 Gbyte?
>
> Yup, 300G's standing here right next to me...
>
> > I'm looking for a cheap simple way of doing this.  Lots of
> > IDE drives?  (How many can you have?)  Or SCSI?  (Again,
> > how many can you have?).
>
> Take 3 or 4 Promise Ultra66/100's and 14 IBM 75G DTLA 307075
> drives and you should be in business, for a very resonable
> pricetag.
>
> -Søren

Try AreaSYS electronics, they make an external ATA to SCSI RAID system
that operates independant of the O/S. I don't know how it would be in
terms of performance, but you might be able to put a few of these
devices on to a system, and use vinum/raid of the raid systems, (seeing
as how FreeBSD would just see them as giant scsi drives).
	I believe they do a setup which houses 8 ATA disks, in which case you
could get away with more than what you're looking for with just two
units.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com