Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 13:49:44 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another 4.1-S panic (full report)

At 09:39 PM 9/30/00 -0500, BSD wrote:
>My Athlon box again, here's the crash dump.  I saved all the bins so that
>I can go back into gdb if anyone needs me to look something else up.
>Order of info: gdb, dmesg, kernel config.

This looks very similar to some crashing I had months back.  An older drive
didn't seem to like it at all and stopped using it for that drive.  Panics
continued and removing the drive physically didn't help.  Turning off
softupdates for all drives did eliminate the panic and later commits at
some point fixed the problem and it could be turned back on, even on the
drive it didn't like.  No need to recompile, just 'tunefs -n disable' worked.

>cpu             I686_CPU                # aka Pentium Pro(tm)
>options         NO_F00F_HACK

The F00F problem is only with Pentiums.

>options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=8192    # number of history buffer lines

Rather large and why one would need to go back so many lines.

Neither are a problem, but you might want to scour your config and remove
any additions since the panics started, if any.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve