Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:27:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.dyndns.org>
To:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sparc port going 64 bit

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 08:40:02AM -0400, Bill Pechter wrote:

> > FreeBSD is the best Unix for i386... but we've not shown any real moves to
> > the multiplatform area.
>
> Uh... the Alpha?  The IA-64?  The Mac-PowerPC?
>
> --
> -- David    (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

Not to disagree, but the Alpha is it at this time.  Period.

Anyone have FreeBSD running on an IA-64 at this time in real production?
Does intel use it in production yet?  Bet they're not yet.

Hell, the chip's not even available to us everyday folks.

as far as PowerPC --
Anyone have it running on a PowerPC box at this time in production?

IBM had Solaris available on PowerPC and NT for a real short time
around 94... Guess how many people bet on that combo.

I had a lot of PowerPC boxes here running AIX... (some with MacOS and
AIX on an IBM MicroChannel 7012 box).  Right now it's Solaris, WinNT/9x,
Mandrake Linux, and my last FreeBSD box... (running 4.0-Stable and
my home grown backup program migrating to Solaris 8 and Veritas NetBackup).

Bill
--
bpechter@monmouth.com    | FreeBSD since 1.0.2, Linux since 0.99.10