Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 21:50:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      R Robert Willman <willmann@texas.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.0.5

I have run into 3 current problems when installing 2.0.5.

1.  After trying to change the path and doing so in a session, when I
shutdown the system and restarted it, the changes to the path were gone and
were not saved.  I added /usr/X11R6/bin to the path.  Also, I set umask to
022.  I made these changes to try to set up X11R6 that came with your
CD-rom. Whether I shutdown and halted the system and rebooted it, or shut
it down, halted it, turned it off, and turned it back on, the attempted
changes made using "set" were not saved and I would have to do them each
time I logged in.

2.  After I loaded the system and rebooted it, and then shut it down, halted
it, and rebooted it, or did a shutdown and halt and turned the system off
and then on, unless I had the CD-rom drive on and the disk in it, the
system would not finish booting properly.  This would happen if I turned off
the computer entirely, turned off the CD-rom drive, removed it from the SCSI
port, and put a SCSI terminator on the port at the back of the computer, and
then turned the computer back on and booted it up.  This is what the screen
said at the end of the booting sequence:

Automatic reboot in progress
/dev/rsd0a:  clean, 7659 free (107 frags, 944 blocks, 0.5% fragmentation)
/dev/rsd0sle:  clean, 271946 free (10354 frags, 32699 blocks,
3.1% fragmentation)

cd9660:  /dev/cd0a:  Device not configured
Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

If I had the CD-rom drive plugged into the computer, turned on, and had the
disk in it, the booting would complete properly and I would be at a login
in which I would put root and get into a C shell.

3.  The X window system comes up but the screen is badly distorted, like
it is made of tweed.  I can see the three windows with red bars at the
top, and that there is a clock in the upper right hand corner, but nothing
can be read.  It is not fuzzy, it is tweeded-out all over, including in
the windows, as one mess.  If I click the mouse in the background, the menu
comes up, and it will show highlighted words as the pointer is pulled down,
but the words cannot be read--they are too distorted.  When I cycle through
the resolutions (4 of them), using cntr-alt-numpad+, the size of the screen
and windows change as each should.  I have checked the config file and the
settings for the S3 chipset. My system is described below.

I have a 486DX4/100 (AMD chip) on an Asus motherboard, 24 mb ram, an
Adaptec 2842 SCSI host bus adapter, a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM graphics
adapter, a Quantum SCSI hard drive, and a Radius PrecisionColor Display/17
monitor.  And a regular 3.5 inch floppy. I put the horizontal and vertical
frequencies from the Radius spec sheet into the config file for X11R6.

On the hard drive I have a Novell Dos 7 partition and a Nextstep ver. 3.3
partition.  I am trying to put Free BSD on the rest of the hard disk.

Sincerely,
Robert Willmann, Jr.
willmann@texasnet
210-224-8866