Date:      Sun, 19 May 2019 13:41:50 +0200
From:      Robert Heron <robert@heron.pl>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: mpd5-5.8_10 - only one client behind NAT can work simultaneously

> On 18 May 2019, at 22:10, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
>=20
> 19.05.2019 0:31, Robert Heron wrote:
>=20
>> I use mpd5 from ports on FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p10 amd64 and there is =
one serious problem I can=E2=80=99t solve:  when connecting clients from =
behind NAT (with the same public IP) to an mpd5 box, every new =
established connection causes the previous one (from the same source IP) =
to go dead.  Any IP traffic is stopped through the previous connection =
but its ng interface still exists. This happens regardless of used =
cryptography. I=E2=80=99ve tried both  PPTP and L2TP over IPSec PSK =
(with racoon). When one client connects, it works OK. When any second =
one from the same public IP connects, then previous IP traffic dies. My =
firewall is open.
>> I=E2=80=99ve searched the net, but found no clue :(
>=20
> If you use PPtP and no IPSEC, then you use PPtPGRE - that is, modified =
version of GRE protocol.
> Your NAT box must support multiple PPtPGRE connections for this to =
work.
> If you use another FreeBSD as NAT box, it has support for multiple =
PPtP connections
> by means of ipfw nat if you load alias_pptp.ko kernel module.
> If your NAT box has no support for aliasing multiple PPtP clients, you =
are out of luck
> and need to change NAT box or switch to another protocol.
>=20
> As for L2TP without IPSEC, you can use PPP/MPPE inside L2TP to =
encapsulate VPN into UDP stream
> and then it will pass through any NAT box without extra protocol =
support.
>=20
> I do not know if it is possible to run multiple L2IP/IPSEC clients =
behind same NAT box.
>=20
> Anyway, this is all not problem of mpd5 but of NAT box or IPSEC.
>=20

I use FreeBSD 12.0 ARM as NAT box and adding alias_pptp.ko fixed the =
problem for PPTP. Now PPTP works OK for multiple connections :)

Multiple L2TP over IPSec still don=E2=80=99t work, but I think it=E2=80=99=
s a problem in my NAT box. I will try some commercial NAT router(s) with =
VPN pass-through feature.

Many thanks for help!

=E2=80=94
Robert