Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/bin/install in -current broken

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Warner Losh wrote:

> : 	Actually, you're right and thanks for pointing it out so how do I
> : tell which install the make install wants?
>
> It almost always wants /usr/bin/install :-) It generally uses the
> first 'install' program in your path.  You might want to move '.' to
> be the last component in your path, since that fixes this and other
> problems building many of the ports or other random software off the
> net.  You especially don't want to have it in root's path, since that
> can lead to trojans and such.

	Hmmm, is moving the '.' to the last component in the path still a
security risk?  I guess you are right that I don't want to have it in
root's path but I guess as the last component it should be okay since no
one can name something with the same name and have me run it... =)

> BTW, your message nearly gave me heart failure, since I was the last
> person to touch install... :-)

	Sorry about that, I thought it was the install but then later I
saw my make world just did fine with install so it couldn't be...  It used
to be that when install failed for a port, I just rebuild the install and
it would work. =)

Cheers,
-Vince- GaiaNet Corporation Unix Networking Operations