Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 13:21:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        Erik Manders <erik@stack.urc.tue.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, marcz@stack.urc.tue.nl, unix@stack.urc.tue.nl
Subject:   Re: a [t]csh oddity.

On Fri, 27 Jan 1995, Erik Manders wrote:

> Our question is: is this a deliberate feature, a bug nobody ever
> bothered to chase down, or something else? This assignment takes
> place when setting signals for an interactive shell.

I believe this is intentional; at least the Sun man pages for csh call
out its special interpretation:

  Initialization and Termination
     When first started, the C shell normally  performs  commands
     from  the  .cshrc file in your home directory, provided that
     it is readable and you either own it or your real  group  ID
     matches  its  group  ID. If the shell is invoked with a name
     that starts with `-', as when started by login(1), the shell
     runs  as  a login shell.  In this case, after executing com-
     mands from the .cshrc file, the shell executes commands from
     the  .login file in your home directory; the same permission
     checks as those for .cshrc are applied to this file.   Typi-
     cally, the .login file contains commands to specify the ter-
     minal type and environment.

Changing the "./" to "-/" does seem odd, though...

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |