Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:29:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New ports scheme

> On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote to Atipa:
>
> > P.S. You never did take up my challenge of proposing a better ports
> > collection design after raising such a ruckus about it before.  Do you
> > also design, or only whine? :)
>
> What are we talking about, the directory structure?  (Basically?)

The basic change is to just have each directory tar and gziped as one
file, and have it expanded on demand, beit for CVS update, or building,
etc.

You could have a front-end (like RPM) that would be able to zcat info from
the archive to show you what the port did, and have options for add,
remove, and update. All fairly trivial tasks. Then we'd have about 55,000
fewer files in the /usr/ports directory, and much faster finds, du's, and
far fewer 4k inodes wasted on 1k files.

I was working on the front-end package, but ran out of time for now. I
think it would also be cool to use an html/http frontend, perhaps
w/ tclhttpd. Then you could manage ports w/ netscape, etc.

I think the file heirarchy is fine and well thought out, if used on
demand. Otherwise it is really heavy on number of files.

Another big addition i'd like to make would be a ports template, so that
you could identify what ports are used in your environment, and have a
script that automatically loads those programs. That would save me hours
on installs for new machines, and would be a nice way to keep up to date
w/ CVS, etc. I'll write up a utility for this as well as soon as I take
care of my primary business.

Regards,
Kevin