Date:      13 May 2003 17:55:09 -0500
From:      Teilhard Knight <teilhk@Phreaker.net>
To:        Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Root mounting

I just subscribed to the list. I am running release 4.8.
I have compiled my kernel. Everything seems to be all right,
except that on boot it cannot mount root.

It displays: "mounting root from ufs:ad2s2a", and a failure message.
then. it goes: "mounting root from ufs:da0s2e", and another failure
message (no such device "da"). This last attempt I think is done because
I added the line:
options    ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:da0s2e\", which LINT gives for when the
root device cannot correctly guessed by the bootstrap code.

Now, I am left at boot with an inquire for a manual root filesystem
specification., like this:

eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a

? List valid disk boot devices

<empty line> abort manual imput

mountroot>

What to do now? I haven't been able to guess the right input, and I
haven't been able to fix the kernel. I have erased all filesystem types
from my configuration, except FFS.

Last thing to note. In my previous kernel, the HD where I have FreeBDS
installed was ad2, in this new kernel, it is ad1.

Cheers.

Teilhard Knight
The Extraterrestrial

Who ate my sandwich?