Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:03:25 +0200
From:      Asker <noreply@nospam.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Subject:   Re: FTP installation from the floppies through ADSL modem with PPPoE or  PPTP  protocol.

> > > The modem can be configured to use PPPoE or PPTP protocol for making the
> > > connection with my Internet Servise Provider.
> >
> > Well if the modem does PPPoE itself (and preusmably NAT) then you need no
> > speical support from the OS. From its poitn of view you are just conencted
> > via ethernet.
>
> If you need the machine to do PPPoE, ppp supports PPPoE.  For this to
> work, though, you need netgraph, which isn't in GENERIC.  You will need
> to make a custom kernel and build your own set of custom floppies.

Ok, so in my situation the installation of FreeBSD is impossible.
What do you think about changing GENERIC or just the kernel in installation
floppies in the future releases of FreeBSD? I think it will be very useful
because ADSL (therefore PPPoE protocol) is very frequent method of
connecting with Internet Service Provider in our days.

P.S. FTP installation use much less internet traffic than 4 huge ISO files'
downloading.