Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:09:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@rice.edu>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mpeg audio (mp3s, etc.) static on 5.0-RC1

I've installed 5.0-RC1 and everything is going great except I get lots of
static playing mpeg audio.  All other audio works fine.  A few cases where
this is present:

1) playing an mp3 with mpg123
2) playing an mp3 with xmms
3) playing a movie with mpeg audio in mplayer

A symptom of this problem in xmms is that the spectrum analyzer is almost
constantly maxed out at most every frequency.  Thus, it seems that in the
decoding of the mpeg stream the amplitude of the signal is outputed too
high, resulting in some form of clipping.  This clipping sounds like
static.  This is ignorant speculation, but maybe it will help.

I've tried installing these programs from ports, packages, recompiling
the ports with no optimizations, rebuilding world, and turning on and off
virtual channels.  Is there some shared library that could be corrupted?
mpg123 doesn't appear to have any dependencies and yet still has the
problem.

I'll send a dmesg later (machine is in Windows and I'm at work), but it's
a 2.53GHz P4 with 512MB RAM on a Gigabyte 8IHXP motherboard.  The sound is
a built-in CT5880-E running the pcm driver.  I've been using the "CPUTYPE=
p4" optimization in /etc/make.conf.  Perhaps I should rebuild everything
with this optimization (instead of just the programs themselves)...

Jon Noack