Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:03:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD hackers (fwd)

I was asked this question today, and searching the mailing
lists doesn't bring up anything current.  Has any additional
work been done on if_vlan?  From the cvs headers in if_vlan.c
is appears there has, so would FreeBSD work in this situation?

A number of interface man pages (ti(4), sk(4)) mention
vlan(4) which doesn't exist on any of our stable or current
machines.  Also I found vlan.h in the compile directory
(NVLAN = 0 by default), but didn't find anything obvious
in LINT for adding a vlan interface.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chad.

QUESTION:

Chad, I'm looking for vlan trunking support in FreeBSD. There are
currently two protocols used for vlan trunking: ISL (cisco) and
802.1q (open standard). Either would work fine for me. I want
to have one 100BaseTX ethernet port that trunks multiple vlans
from a Cisco switch to a FreeBSD DHCP server. The FreeBSD server
would have one subinterfaces or aliases per vlan assigned to the
trunk.

The configuration would look like the following:

Cat   ----- 100baseTX,FD ---------- FreeBSD Server
Switch      Vlans 1,3,7