Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:54:36 +0100
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping FreeBSD updated (the binary way)

Tim Judd wrote:
> This was once not the way to do it.  I read on the handbook recently
> that they actually advertize to use -STABLE packages if you want more
> up-to-date programs.

Ok. I also realized that portsnap is more updated than the -STABLE
precompiled packages. I should perhaps get the INDEX file off the ftp
server as well. Is there a way to fetch the actual ports tree used to
produce the current -STABLE package set?

> Why is it you wnat to remove the compiling part of it?  portupgrade,
> portmaster or any other port management tool will take care of that for
> you.  Just curious on this one.....

The compilation takes forever. Ok, so my new computer (which isn't
exactly "new") will be a lot faster than the one it replaces, but still.
I can always compile coreutils and stuff like that, but larger
applications, I would want to install binary. Also, there is little
advantage nowadays in compiling yourself.

	Svein Halvor