Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:42:10 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@flash.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maintaining Access Control Lists (was: So long and thanks for all the fish)

* Courtney Thomas (ccthomas@flash.net) [020323 11:20]:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I'm using IPFW though clearly not well. I'd appreciate an
> ACL example using IPFW.
>
> Cordially,
> Courtney
>
> Benjamin Krueger wrote:
> > * Courtney Thomas (ccthomas@flash.net) [020323 07:18]:
> >
> >>Please advise on implementing an ACL for not only ssh but
> >>"anyArbitrary" program ?
> >>
> >>Appreciatively,
> >>Courtney
> >>

> > 	Well, the most obvious way is to maintain ACLs for all of your applications using
> > IPFW or IPFilter. That has the advantage of central configuration for every single
> > network app.

Unfortunately, I am a very IPFilter oriented person, and have not had the time
to go over the intricacies of IPFW. I've also found the documentation and
related literature for IPFW to be less than what I would expect from the
project when I have been able to glance at it. Maybe this isn't so. Someday
when I get more time, I'll volunteer to write more in depth IPFW information.
=)  Until then, I thought it best to forward this request for creating an
Access Control List on to the Freebsd-questions@ list. You folks can certainly
give Courtney some good guidance and a few examples to start with. =)

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)