Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:35:19 -0800
From:      Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, dhenin@cyclopes.org, jit@wanadoo.fr
Subject:   Re: CALL FOR TESTERS - ffmpeg TV formats

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 07:51:06AM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:02:29 -0800
>
> 	/usr/local/bin/bsdbktr_tvtune 792
> 	Tunes in BBC2 on my UPC feed - it only groks frequency not
> channels.

I tried using bsdbktr_tvtune, using NTSC frequencies, right before running
ffmpeg, but I don't get any signal.  I think there's some tuner-related
setting on my bktr card (Hauppage, I think) that is extremely finicky.

I've tried all sorts of things to set the channel prior to recording.
Seth Kingsley wrote a little program that uses the TVTUNER_SETCHNL
ioctl.  If I use it while fxtv is running, the channel changes properly,
and fxtv even notices and updates its display to reflect the new channel.

However, if I run it before or during ffmpeg, I get static.  The first
time I do this, there may be a bit of signal, as though the tuning was
close but not great.  If I run it a few more times, after the 2nd or
third time there is nothing but static.  Very strange.

The only solution I've been able to make work is a hacked version of
fxtv, which exits as soon as it initializes the card.  It's a really ugly
solution though, it requires an X server to run.  I've done a trace on
fxtv, and it uses a huge number of meteor and bt848 ioctls repeatedly,
so it's hard to tell what's actually relevant.

-nick

> NE> It would be nice if ffmpeg had some interface to allow drivers to
> NE> accept options from the command line.
>=20
> 	Yes it would!
>=20
> --=20
> C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
> The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
> You lose and Bill collects.                 |  licenses available - see:
>                                             |   http://www.sohara.org/

--=20
Nicholas Esborn
Unix Systems Administrator