Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 23:24:16 +0200
From:      Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sPPP and TCP/IP services don't work ??

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 11:10:41PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> I keep getting mails which report that users can connect to their ISP
> OK using sPPP, but no TCP/IP services seem to work.
>
> Here's a diff to the FAQ which describes a possible fix.
>
> Hellmuth, can you incorporate this ?
>
> *** FAQ.orig	Sat May  8 22:56:21 1999
> --- FAQ	Sat May  8 23:06:15 1999
> ***************
> *** 605,607 ****
> --- 605,625 ----
>   Bart
>
>   			(from Bart van Leeuwen bart@ixori.demon.nl)
> +
> + 12. I'm using sPPP. I can connect to my ISP but no TCP/IP services work. HELP!
> + ==============================================================================
> +
> + I think this only applies to FreeBSD.
> +
> + This is probably due to the RFC1323 - TCP Extensions for High Performance
> + support in the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack.

uh, no.  if PPP at your ISP is broken, and eats the TCP options used for
rfc1323, it will be the same for NetBSD. The sysctl described below
is the same (I guess also for OpenBSD) and the recommended fix if the buggy
firmware/software is in your path. (btw, could be really old CISCO or Linux).

> + This can easily be checked by doing ``sysctl net.inet.tcp.rfc1323''. If the
> + result is 1, then the RFC1323 support is turned on.
> +
> + Turn this off by doing ``sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0''.

Until here generic {Free,Net,Open}BSD.

> + Also, make
> + sure that tcp_extension="NO" is in your /etc/rc.conf (/etc/defaults/rc.conf
> + with more recent versions of FreeBSD) !!

This is FreeBSD-specific, I think.

> +
> + 	(by Gary Jennejohn, see above for eMail addresses)
> +

Regards,
	Ignatios