Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:39:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why build INDEX ?

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 11:49:18PM +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:42:13PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > If that was true, why does the man page for portupgrade tell you to do=
=20
> > the following=20
> >=20
> >    o   To perform upgrades effectively and correctly, remember to run
> >         pkgdb(1) with -F on occasions to fix dependency discrepancies, =
   =20
> >         and run portsdb(1) with -Uu every time you CVSup the ports tree=
=20
> >         to keep your ports INDEX database up-to-date in sync with the=
=20
> >         tree.

> Ask the people who wrote that manpage.
> The portupgrade port might use INDEX.  I don't use portupgrade, so I
> neither know nor care about what it does.
> The utilities in the base system don't need an up-to-date INDEX.

That's not entirely true.  pkg_version(1) won't work without an INDEX
file.=20

In general, INDEX is used by any application that attempts to compare
the version numbers of your installed ports with the version numbers
available in the ports tree.  However the INDEX file has no direct
effect on compiling or installing any particular port.

If you have some other mechanism for deciding which ports need to be
updated, then you don't need the INDEX file.

Outside the base system, portupgrade(1) et al is all about working out
which ports have updates available and updating them in the correct
order: this clearly depends fundamentally on having some sort of index
available.  portupgrade(1) takes the data from the INDEX file and
stores it in a DB hash INDEX.db, so, except as an intermediate file
during index building, technically the portupgrade(1) tools don't need
the INDEX file itself either.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20