Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:02:36 -0600
From:      "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pf and keep/modulate state on 6.2

I was noticing sporadic FTP transfers DOWN to my fbsd 6.2 machine
over my DSL line...it would go/pause/go/pause - just a bit, but
overall slowed the transfers down quite a bit.

I looked at my pf.conf file and changed MODULATE state to KEEP state
in all places and my issues went away....fast clean consistent downloads.

If I changed it back...the issues came back.

is this expected behavior? - the machine is a p4-3.06 with 1GB ram
and hardly doing anything but PPPoE and pf with NAT.

Anyone have any comments they could share?

-JD