Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 20:00:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When gcc-2.7.2 hits ctm

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> > There's several
> > different ways to handle this, I don't care how it's finally decided, I
> > just don't want ctm trying to send me 25 megabytes of mail all in one day.
>
> Excuse me, I don't know exactly what you mean ...
> Ok, the worst thing might be, you get all at one, so you fear, your
> spool space might overflow ... So you mean, the commitments should
> be done in peaces ?!?! Is that doable ?! When a developer extracts
> his work on the main src server, what should he do ....
> cvs committ  .... what else ?! The 'beast' works recursive ....

Andreas, EVERYONE who uses ctm gets all their updates by mail.  I doubt
if .05 percent of ctm users can take a one day 25MB mailbomb.  I sure
couldn't, the university doesn't give me that much room.  To say 'deal
with it' ignores the point that this simply cannot be dealt with without
some planning.

It doesn't have to be done in stages, either, I think that just saying
'tough nuts' is not being helpful.  One possiblity that occurs to me is
to ask PHK to interrupt ctm when the gcc is brought in, and just skip
over that mailbomb.  Everyone would then get maybe 7 days to ftp a diff,
which would REALLY cut network traffic (ver getting the much larger ctm
update), and everone would go back to ctm'ing happily, once they'd added
the gcc-ctm updates manually.  I'm sure there are other possibilities,
too, that I haven't seen.  Just letting ctm break everyone's system
doesn't seem like a real neat solution.

If it was done the way I suggest above, no one that doesn't use ctm would
be inconvenienced, either.  I'm not suggesting you use that method, I'm
sure that there are even better ways that might occur to someone who
knows the CVS tools better than I.  I am saying, please consider the
effect this is going to have.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |