Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 95 9:34:40 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape Font problem?

> My netscape binary works fine on my 486-66 #9-GXE system, but
> displays garbage for fonts on my 486-33 Stealth 24 system.  My
> guess is that I've missed something configuration wise, but I
> certainly can't find it.  I've now got the same:
>
> XKeysymDB, Netscape binary, Xserver, and nls directory.
>
> Every other X app I have seems to work fine on the 486-33.
> Anybody have an idea what could cause this problem?

Netscape uses a technique called pixmap double-buffering to do its
little animation and some other stuff.  There are other techniques
that result in better animation, but I've only seen a few people
(like me) using them.  Probably the fastest technique is unsuitable
for NetScape, since it applies to images that are prerendered only.

So anyway, NetScape creates a pixmap and uses it as a drawable.

Apparently, there's no bounds checking for this kind of drawable.

This is a well known problem.  Increasing your window width so
that images don't have to pan left-right will help somewhat.

Netscape also has a memory leak (apparently) in its pixmap allocation,
since not all allocated pixmaps get deallocated.

This is most obvious when doing panning of a large amount of text from
an FTP site where it attempts to buffer using the pixmaps.

A 16M image size for the X server is not unheard of as a result.

Finally, there appears to be a bug in XFree86 with regard to the
internal font rendering.  This will result in screwed up fonts
after a while (the fonts in the font cache get trashed).  The
workaround is to use pre-rendered fonts instead of the outline
font stuff.

A simple way to do this is to chane over to Courier fonts.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.