Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:22:51 -0500
From:      brianc@netrover.com (Brian Campbell)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   binary/resident size

Just for curiousity's sake I built an assembler program that consisted soley
of "jmp ." (just to keep track of how much idle time has been "wasted".
I suspect cp_time[CP_IDLE] could tell me the same thing, but not via ps
or top).

I guess I wasn't entirely surprised that when linked the binary was 4k.

	text	data	bss	dec	hex
	4096	0	0	4096	1000

What I don't understand is why VSZ is 132k and RSS is 20k.

	UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
	134  2443     1 333  74 20   132   20 -      RN    v1- 5502:24.27 idle

It is run as 'idprio 31 nice -20 idle'.
What am I missing?