Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 04:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        aklemm@hightek.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs exported FreeBSD cvs repository, mounted on client, update problems

In article <19980515104111.16534@hightek.com> you wrote:
[... NFS server with CVS tree, NFS clients want to cvs checkout ...]
> Then I try to update my sources on the client:

> root@client1 [150] [/usr/src] cvs update -P
> cvs update: Updating .
> cvs update: failed to create lock directory in repository `/home/ncvs/src': Permission denied
> cvs update: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/home/ncvs/src'
> cvs [update aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

you need to have write permissions on cvs tree;  if you run cvs co / cvs upd
as root, you need write permission as root;  _OR_ you can run
cvs -R ...
and then your CVS tree is read-only (CDROM mode ;-)

> How do you arrange these things if you only want to have one machine
> cvsupping the repository to update several FreeBSD machines ?

> Do you checkout the src tree on the server and mount the updated
> source tree on severyl clients ? Or does every machine have it's
> own checked out source tree, which I would prefer, since not
> every machine is perhaps a candidate for an upgrade ?

I have local /usr/src and /usr/obj on build machines (build over NFS
is broken, at least it used to be many times...).
I do make buildworld on build box(es), then NFS-mount it to machines
I want to upgrade, and do make installworld there.

Note that it is very well possible to have your build boxes run
different version from machines you want to upgrade, all the time.

Now that we have a great new Makefile, it's possible...

--
I remember seeing a sign on a power station that was trilingual: English,
French, and American. It said "No Admission. Pas D'admission. Keep Out".