Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:48:26 -0600
From:      "Wolfpaw - Dale Corse" <admin-lists@wolfpaw.net>
To:        "PsYxAkIaS (FreeBSD)" <freebsd@psyxakias.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Shell Provider - DDoS Attacks - IPFW Ratelimiting

Rate limiting won't help.. think of it this way.. you have a pipe that
will take 10 gallons of
water per minute.. if you add a valve so it can only do 6 gallons per
minute, and there is
350 gallons per minute being poured down it.. it will still clog.

Point is .. DDOS attacks don't care if you reply to the request, they
will keep sending anyway,
in fact most of them are designed to "pump it up" if you do respond.
Rate limiting won't help you,
all you can do really is have your upstream "black hole" the attacked
ip range until it stops to
try and cut down your bill.

Just my 2 cents :)
D.