Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:41:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Bt848 Video capture driver for FreeBSD

> I strongly doubt that the person who wrote the demo used such sneaky
> speed-ups, since it was designed to show off the new general-purpose
> texture-mapping routines that will be in the 3D Kit for BeOS DR9. Besides
> the cube, there was a sphere, an open book, and a pulsing surface that
> looked like water that a pebble has been dropped into.  Furthermore, the
> cube could be rotated by the user dragging the mouse.  In general, texture
> mapping is straightforward enough, and a PowerPC 604 has enough horsepower
> to solve it in the general case, that I'm sure that's what they did.
>
> In other words, of course the hidden surfaces wouldn't be rendered, but
> your other suggestions sound a little wacky.

Wacky enough to do the same sort of thing with a cube on a
Commodore64... obviously, they were anim files, not Quicktime.

"64K?!?!  My God!  How will you ever fill that up?!?".  8-).

Just the knowledge that sneaky is available makes it a little less
impressive on a PPC604, though.  The old debate between whether
you should throw fast hardware or clever software at a problem, I
guess... (PS: the correct answer is "both".  8-)).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---