Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:00:02 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't mount / properly, fstab woes

I marked / read-only in /etc/fstab - this was the stupid move.  I didn't
fully understand what would be made read only.  The kernel being read-only is
great, but suddenly /etc/fstab is read-only too.  So now I can't make /
read-write again.

Then there was a power outage, so the system didn't shut down cleanly.  I
booted to single-user mode, and managed to run fsck on /, but only by
specifying the device name, since /etc/fstab is apparently FUBAR.  But it
won't let me mount / read-write, so I can't change fstab.  It keeps
complaining 'inappropriate file type or format', and I don't understand what
that means.  It doesn't make it easier that I have to direct someone how do
this over the phone, since I can't ssh into the box  Help!!

And for the record, I think making / read-only is something that should
_never_ be done.  The system does _not_ work properly in this mode, and
everything gives me errors.  To every FreeBSD security how-to out there -
stop recommending this!  If that kind of security is desired, then running
the whole computer from a CDROM is probably the best idea.

Please cc: me.

-David