Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 12:25:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

On Saturday,  3 June 2000 at 15:01:24 +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
>>> American English quotating marks are ``text'', the British seem to
>>> prefer `text'.
>>
>> I don't see that difference.  Typically it's `` and '' for both.
>
> I just checked a few paperbacks (Iain Banks, Arthur C. Clarke,
> Stephen Donaldson, Greg Egan) typeset in the UK, and they uniformly
> use `...' for first level and ``...'' for second level quotation
> marks.

All from the same publisher, perhaps?  I've just grabbed about 8 books
printed in England.  Only two of them had the single quote convention,
both Penguins.  An older Penguin book had double quotes.

> The only two Australian printings I have at hand both have ``...''.
>
>>> German has >>text<< or ,,text``.
>>
>> Well, ,,text''.
>
> Sorry, but it really is ,,text``.  Or, to give a better description:
>
>                     66
>             .  .  .
>          99

That's not `` in my book.

> Books almost universally use inverted guillemets nowadays.

I took a look at about 8 German books.  A surprising number of them
used inverted guillemets, but the others either had the 99/66
convention, or in one case (Frank Theiss, ,,GÄa'', printed by the
Druckhaus Neckator in Stuttgart) literally ,,/'' (no curvature, no
thickening at one end).  In Fraktur it's pretty much that as well: no
curvature, slight thickening at the ends you indicate.  Duden agrees
with any of these conventions, including the French.

> The type of quotation marks above is mostly limited to magazines and
> newspapers.  As mentioned in discussions on de.etc.sprache.deutsch,
> some publishers apparently also use guillemets without inversion
> <<...>>, but that is rare, at least in Germany (might be different
> in Switzerland).

Yes, that's what Duden says.

> Remarkably, c't and iX use `...'.

What, you still read iX?

c't seems to use `...'  and ,,...'' for different things, the latter
(in the editorial "...") for quoted speech.  Look at page 256 of
8/2000 for an example of ,,...''.

Greg