Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:48:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 14 day countdown to BETA

> Unless I hear great howls of protest, I'm going to tag and release
> FreeBSD 2.2.5-BETA on September 30th and declare a 2.2 code freeze
> during the 15 day BETA period which will ensue.

Great howl of protest:
`` Declare the freeze Sept 20, already 5 days past when it was suppose
to happen, put the tree into ``must be acked by RELENG before commiting
to branch mode until Sept 30, then lock it down to ONLY RELENG can
commit after Sept 30.''

During the must be ack'ed phase does not mean cdiff's have to be sent
and reviewed, just a ``I'm want to merge this, or fix this type of
messages.''

15 days is too short a BETA period, given the tree won't be buildable
for more than 50% of the time up until the real code freeze.  (3 of my
last 4 releng_2_2 cvssup/buildworld's have failed, and yes, I know,
I'm even the cause of one of them!)

> "This is your branch.  This is your branch in code freeze.  Any questions?"

:-)

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD