Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:03:11 +0200
From:      "Alexander N. Mueller" <alex@6by9.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: emulators/atari800 - Sound heavily distorted

Hi,

there are some problems regarding the atari800 port for which I
couldn't find any explanation/solution in the project's mailing
lists on sourceforge:

Sound doesn't work as expected, at least in the X11 version.  After
installing the port, sound didn't work at all so I started fiddling around
with the "-dsprate" and "-snddelay" command line parameters.  Although I
finally found a combination of values that seemed to work, sound output is
heavily distorted.  It looks like a timing-related problem because moving
the mouse or dragging around windows seems to have a major influence.

After giving up on the X11 version of the port, I tried the SDL version.
Sadly, the SDL version is completely unusable because it's so slooooow.
First, I thought that the program had crashed, but then I noticed that
it was just unbelievably slow, even on an Athlon64 4000+ machine.

The affected version of atari800 is 1.3.6, although I`ve experienced the
same problems with 1.3.5 too.  I'm using FreeBSD 5.4 Release (AMD64).
Any advice?

Cheers,

Alexander Mueller

--
Alexander N. Mueller - alex<at>6by9<dot>org - http://www.6by9.org

PGP key ID  |  PGP key fingerprint
0xD7597014  |  F305 B7EA B6D8 BD8D 40BB  DD40 AB04 5502 D759 7014