Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 16:30:14 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Random Junk <jsd@gamespot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory usage

>can someone explain this top output to me?
>
>Mem: 64M Active, 23M Inact, 21M Wired, 15M Cache, 8332K Buf, 176K Free
>Swap: 262M Total, 42M Used, 220M Free, 16% Inuse
>
>am i out of memory or not?  i ask because this machine is a busy ftp
>server and i want to know if i can safely let more people log in.
>right now it has reached its maximum simultaneous download ceiling.
>
>what's the difference between Inact and Free?  and what does "wired"
>mean?  please use words of one syllable or less, i am pretty ignorant
>of freebsd memory management issues.  (a pointer to a good book or web
>page would be appreciated as well.)

   The important figure is "cache". In 2.1.x, cache+free can be used as a rough
indicator of the amount of available memory. However, also note that your
swap usage is fairly high...this probably means that you are near the max and
should get more memory before increasing the ftp limit higher.

-DG

David Greenman