Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 09:28:27 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Bob Dunaway <bob@rdsw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Archive DAT SCSI problem

>I have recently brought up a system with FreeBSD on a 486DX2/66 and
>am very happy with the system except for a SCSI tape problem.
>I have been having problems adding an Archive Python 25501-xxx DAT tape
>drive to the 950322-SNAP release of FreeBSD. I am using the Adaptec 2842A
>controller. The system locks up when booting with the tape drive connected.
>
>ahc1: reading board settings
>ahc1: 284x Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, aic7770 >= Rev E, 16 SCBs
>ahc1: Downloading Sequencer Program...Done
>ahc1 at 0x1000-0x10ff irq 11 on eisa slot 1
>ahc1: Probing channel A
>ahc1 waiting for scsi devices to settle
>ahc1: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MB/s, offset = 0x19
>(ahc1:0:0): "HP C2490A-300 4140" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>sd0(ahc1:0:0): Direct-Access 2033MB (4165272 512 byte sectors)
>ahc1: target 6 synchronous at 10.0MB/s, offset = 0x42
>
>The system hangs at this point with the disk controller access light on.
>I rebuilt the kernel with the NEW_SCSICONF option and also added a
>table entry for the Archive drive using the parameters of the Wangdat
>DAT drive. I then tried the SCSI_2_DEF option. Neither of these options
>made any difference. I then tried the SCSIDEBUG option to determine
>where the boot was failing. The boot was successful and I was able to
>write a tar tape and read it successfully (with a lot of debug messages).
>Apparently, the problem is related to timing to the Archive tape drive.
>The last thing which I have tried was the new aic sequencer code and
>driver. The system still locks up at the same place during boot (no debug).
>Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this problem.

The dmesg output came from the -current aic7xxx driver?  Just to make sure,
can you try the 4/12 SNAP snapshot disks out (incase you didn't grab all
of the required files).  If this is the -current code, it looks like a
syncronous negotiation problem.  We should never allow negotiation above
15.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1