Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 95 14:06:15 +0200
From:      hafner@suncog2 (Walter Hafner)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hafner@forwiss
Subject:   install menu [was: Re: fdisk update, background NFS mounting?]

Seppo wrote:
> At 15:17 23/8/95, Charles N. Owens wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> For anyone interested, I was able to get my 4 gig scsi drive going.  I
>> couldn't get fdisk to do it's thing (at least as far as I could tell), so
>> instead I simply booted from the install floppy and did a minimal install
>> on the the new drive.  Worked like a charm.  It is a bit of a kludgy way
>> to go, though.  Why can't we have a utility that has the brains of sysinstall
>> that shields us from the fdisk and disklabel yuckiness?

> Oh boys and girls! Some other soul has seen these problems also!

> Yes, I did try this "install way" of disk init also. It did work. And it
> would be quite nice IF the install would not insist to load something form
> net into the root partition. That is W (Write) command is missing from
> disklabel/fdisk screen. It is writing dikslabel+fdisk info after you start
> installing software (the "confirm" must be accepted).

What I'd like to see is a new item in the installation menu:

* install kernel sources

Like most of us I happen to recompile the kernel every now and then. Up
to now there are two ways to put the kernel sources on disk: 1) install
all sources and delete the non-kernel sources and 2) unpack ssys* by
hand. Both of them are not very user-friendly.

And I think (without looking at the install-sources :-) ) that a new
menu item is just a few minutes work ...

-Walter