Date:      Mon, 14 May 2007 21:11:19 +0200
From:      Carl Johan Gustavsson <carl.gustavsson@bahnhofbredband.se>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: xorg 7.2 ready for testing

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Dear porters,
>
> We are now ready for xorg 7.2 testing!  Over the past week we have
> done extensive tests of various upgrade scenarios, fixed many
> remaining bugs, and now the upgrade is looking good.  Of course, we
> can't possibly test everything, so that's where you come in.  What we
> need now is for everyone to download this tarball:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/ports-xorg-7.2.tbz
>
> Extract it into a clean directory (i.e. not over the top of your
> existing ports tree), then follow the directions in UPDATING to begin
> the upgrade process.  In particular, please pay special attention to
> the instructions on how to record and report information should
> something go wrong: without a transcript of the upgrade session we may
> be unable to determine what went wrong on your system, and your report
> may be wasted.
>
> We're asking all FreeBSD ports committers and other interested
> developers to participate in this process: it's now up to you guys to
> test the upgrade and report problems you encounter, before we unleash
> it on the general user base.
>
> Once we have enough success reports and have dealt with all reported
> failures, we will proceed with the next stage, which is to import into
> CVS.
>
> Kris

Hi!

I upgraded to 7.2 on a i386 machine running 6-STABLE and it went quite
smooth, the only problem was that i didnt have the xorg-6.9-meta port
installed which i noticed when the upgrade was done, but it was just to
install the new meta port. The mergescript left some stuff in /usr/X11R6
which i had to delete manually, probably some stuff i installed manually
like themes or things that havn't been deinstalled correctly (long
before the upgrade, most of the files wasn't referenced by installed
ports, checked by pkg_info -W).  I also had to reinstall the
nvidia-driver manually after the portupgrade -a finished. I noticed it
was missing when i tried to start X after the upgrade.

My install was done using the first tarball and portupgrade-devel, but i
used a mergescript from a later release. The log are available  by request.

Thank you for all working on this.

/cjg