Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 23:03:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>, current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ncr53c810 driver in stable/current

David Greenman writes:
 > >	for the second time today, my -stable machine has crashed,
 > >and hung while trying to reboot.  the machine is using an ncr53c810
 > >SCSI controller (the ASUS PC-200(sp?)) is the only SCSI controller
 > >in the box....
 > >
 > >	Now, I can live with the crashes, for now, but the fact that
 > >it is hanging on reboots is becoming a royal pain...
 > >
 > >	The last time I reported this, someone made mention that
 > >the cause was the NCR driver not switching modes or something like
 > >that, so that it can't dump core...?
 > >
 > >	If anyone remembers this thread, or knows what the hell I'm
 > >talking about...has this been fixed in -current?
 >
 >    We've seen this problem on freefall (which uses the NCR controller). It
 > likes to hang when we try to reboot it. I don't recall any fixes for this,
 > and I don't know what causes it.

Hmm, I have not heard about this problem on other systems ...

Could both of you please send details on the configuration:

1) CPU class (eg. P5/133)

2) controller chip (810 or 825)

3) disk drives connected

4) type of hang (does the SDMS BIOS probe complete ?)

Since 1-3) is reported in the boot messages, I'd like
to receive a verbose boot log.

Regarding the kernel dump: It used to work at a time,
and I'm not sure what makes it fail.

There was some way to obtain a kernel core with DDB at
no risk of data corruption on the disk (which I couldn't
take !), but I don't remember any details. I'll build a
kernel with the debugger and will try to test the dump
feature over the next few days. (Please allow 10 days
for me to get it fixed ...)

Regards, STefan