Date:      Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:24:04 +0100
From:      Eric <freebsdlists-ruby@chillibear.com>
To:        Tilman =?ISO-8859-1?B?S2Vza2lu9no=?= <arved@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ruby@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patching gemspec file

> I am trying to create a port from a gem which uses "=" to specify exact
> versions of its dependencies, which of course don't match the versions
> in the FreeBSD port.
>
> Is there a way to patch the gemspec file without copying the whole
> bsd.ruby.mk into the port file or rolling out my custom gem?

It's not a very clean solution, but you can 'patch' the gemspec in the
'post-install target' in your Makefile, see a previous post on this list:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ruby/2011-June/001300.html

Otherwise if the Gem actually works with more relaxed requirements that meet
those in the current Ports tree I'd see if you can get the author to do a
release with those relaxed requirements, I did this for the Larch gem
(ports/158389).  I would personally say this is the best solution to avoid
cluttering the Ports tree with one off gems.  You could always fork the gem
as an alternative if the upstream development has ceased.

Finally if the requirements are exact and you may need to port the specific
versions of the gems you require into the Ports tree to sit alongside their
'new versions'.  I did that when solving this PR: ports/147809, also see
ports/150775 for the actual 'second' gem port.

Regards

Eric